Sunday 27 November 2016

Mirror mirror






When my daughter began toddling, she developed this habit of standing in front of the mirror and kissing her reflection. She would go "goo-goo-gaa-gaa" over her eight-teeth smile and I would go "goo-goo-gaa- gaa" over her.

I thought it was just the cutest thing ever, until my mother put in her two-cents.

According to Mother Knower, a baby should not watch his reflection in a mirror because the father "will not 'mine' the child", meaning he would not take care of him financially. 


Listen up all you single mothers and all you deadbeat dads, despite the convoluted Sociological and Psychological explanations being tossed about, the real reason for your problems is that your baby played with a mirror!
Isn't it great to have all the answers?

If my mind was not blown enough, she added that children who spend a lot of time in front of the mirror have frequent nightmares. And that is because the spirits of the dead can be seen in the looking glass and children are sensitive enough to be disturbed by them.


My mother was never twisted enough to insist that we cover all mirrors in the house, though it has been said that when a loved one goes to that great, big playground in the sky, his family should cover all the mirrors in the house for the next three days so that the spirit does not get drawn into one and stay trapped on earth. I am not sure if we dodged that bullet because Mama did not believe it or because no one in our house died so we never had to put it to the test.

I am not telling you to believe in all of this hocus-pocus, but I can honestly tell you  something - and no judging! - for years, my daughter would awake crying from the bad dreams that she had had; and her father is as dead a beat as possible without becoming an actual beet or some other vegetable.


Coincidence?
Let me find out:
"Magic Mirror, on the wall...."

No comments:

Post a Comment